If you want to be able to whip up a good meal any night of the week, or if you want to make a recipe for a special purpose - love, prosperity, etc. - there are certain things that come in handy. My list of essential supplies has changed just a bit since I moved to Turkey, but some things are readily available almost anywhere. The following list is what I would have in my cupboards, fridge and freezer in the U.S.
Canned tomatoes, tomato paste, puree and sauce
Canned beans - pintos, cannelinis, kidney and black (dried are cheaper and more common than canned ones here, but the canned varieties are so much more convenient)
Onion soup mix - it makes great meat loaf
Chicken and vegetable broth, canned and powdered forms
Cream of mushroom soup
Basmati and Jasmine rice
Jarred pasta sauce
Corn and creamed corn
Garlic, onions, potatoes
Ground cumin, cardamom, coriander, crushed red chili flake, garlic and onion powder, Italian seasoning, garam masala, turmeri, chili powder, chipotle chili powder, cinnamon, cloves, vanilla extract, taco seasoning
Stir-fry veggie mixes
Other veggies - broccoli, brussels sprouts, cauliflower, artichoke hearts
I usually have a bunch of crappy frozen meals in my freezer too. They're inexpensive (if you catch them on sale), convenient, and are relatively low-cal. Ready meals such as Lean Cuisine do not exist here in Turkey, which is probably a good thing
As for the refrigerator...well, things tend to get really fuzzy in there. The fridge is mainly for open condiments, bagged salad and any meat or produce I plan to use right away. I like to keep sour cream and yogurt too, but American yogurt is nothing compare to Turkish yogurt!
These staples help me put together beans and rice for dinner, white bean pate for a light meal or snack, chili with or without meat, pasta salad, and many other quick, easy, inexpensive meals.
Dang, this post really intensified my homesickness. I think I *will* look into returning to the states after this school year.
Wednesday, February 17, 2010
Sunday, February 14, 2010
Friday, February 12, 2010
Debra, She Who Seeks has bestowed upon me this Kreativ Blogger award. Thank you so much! I'm sorry I'm so late in picking it up and posting about it. I got home around 10 last night. The trip to England was good and it was great to see Maz, as always.
1. Thank the person giving the award (or, in this case, the person and rabbit giving the award).
2. Copy the award to your blog.
3. Place a link to their blog.
4. Name seven things people don't know about you.
5. Nominate seven other bloggers who you admire.
6. Place a link to these bloggers.
7. Leave a comment on their blog notifying them of the award.
1. I am acrophobic. Standing on a chair to change a lightbulb gives me the heebie jeebies, even!
2. I hate canned tuna, hard boiled eggs and raw tomatoes more than most other foods. The mere thought of those things repulses me.
3. I love the sound of bagpipes.
4. My favorite musical group is The Beatles.
5. I talk back to the television or computer. A lot.
6. I like to make up monologues for pets. I have a special type of voice for cats, dogs and guinea pigs. Don't judge me! ;)
7. I've always wanted to be a teacher. Now that I am one, I think I'd like to do something else. hee
1. Mother Moon at http://mothermoonsmessage.blogspot.com
2. Nydia at http://bringingupsalamanders.blogspot.com Check out her Etsy site too!
3. Ozark Pagan Mamma at http://tressabelle.wordpress.com
4. Judith at http://merlinsmistress.blogspot.com
5.VintageSage at http://thevintagesage.blogspot.com
6.Sherri at http://www.veganfamilyinc.com
7.And last but never least, Mrs. B, the hardest blogging woman I know! I hope you feel better soon, Mrs. B! http://silvermoonwitch.blogspot.com
I tried to insert links but I can't seem to do that, so the addresses to the blogs will have to suffice.
You all have great information on your blogs and I love reading them. Thanks for your support.